Whether you’ve got kids or not, this is a great opportunity to get out of the house and spend some quality time.
Every August, we’re treated to the Perseid meteor shower. It’s been going on since July, but this weekend is prime
If you’d like to Keep it Simple, it’s as easy as 1, 2, 3:
- Pick a viewing spot – You’re looking for somewhere dark. If you can see street lights or if your neighbor loves to leave the lights on at night, your backyard isn’t the place. Rest stops and campgrounds are a few alternatives.
- Check the weather – Choose a night with the lowest chance for clouds. It goes without saying that you are going to avoid rain, right? :-).
- Grab your gear & go!– Got your comfy chairs? Snacks, beverages, bug spray? Maybe a jacket and blanket if the nights are cool… And don’t forget your phone! Yes, you can take great pictures.
If you’d like to Make it More:
- See the preview– watch this short video from NASA or read this Perseid Info Guide.
- Invite some friends
- Make it a game – We all love a shooting star, why not play “Fireball?” Here’s how it goes: Divide up the sky, with each person watching a different area. When you see a shooting star, shout “fireball” and point so everyone has time to turn and see. (Bonus points if you can say “Fireball” like John Ryan).
- Something for your little astronomers
- For your emerging readers – try this matching game or this complete packet from itsy bitsy fun.
- Journey into the Solar System – save $10, the Kindle version is currently discounted to $2.99!
- Make a rocket – check out this darling (and free!) straw rocket template from Buggy and Buddy.
- Trace a maze
- And don’t forget your Summer Slime
I’d love to hear from you and hope you enjoy the cosmic show!